Struggle frequently to get up from bed for a morning exercise? Drive away the sluggishness with some amazing yoga positions for weight loss. While it won’t offer immediate outcomes, yoga does more than providing you with a toned body. It is a stress-reliever and mood-enhancer, and aids in controlling emotional eating. These physical and mental advantages of yoga combinedly support calorie combustion and fat reduction!
A research article released in the journal Obesity indicates that carrying excess body weight is related to various chronic medical conditions. Fortunately, it has been proved that shedding weight reduces the likelihood of developing many of these illnesses, and yoga, alongside other physical activities, can assist in weight loss. Health Shots contacted yoga and spiritual guru Himalayan Siddhaa Akshar to identify the best yoga postures for fat loss.
9 yoga postures for weight loss
1. Mountain stance (Tadasana)
Tadasana activates multiple muscle groups, encouraging overall body fat reduction and calorie consumption. To execute this posture:
- Commence by standing with your feet hip-width apart, ensuring an even weight distribution on both feet.
- Engage your leg muscles, gently lifting your kneecaps towards your hips.
- Inhale and raise your arms overhead with your palms facing each other.
- Maintain softness in your knees.
2. Downward-facing dog stance (Adho mukha svanasana)
This posture triggers the core, fortifies the arms and legs, and advances circulation, promoting fat breakdown. To carry out this posture:
- Initiate on your hands and knees, wrists under shoulders, knees under hips.
- Elevate your hips towards the ceiling, straightening your legs.
- Press your palms into the mat, fingers spread wide.
- Keep your head between your arms and your heels, your heels reaching towards the floor.
3. Warrior II (Virabhadrasana II)
This yoga posture challenges the lower body, particularly the thighs and glutes, enriching muscle tone and metabolism. To perform this posture:
- Commence in a standing position, step one foot back, and rotate it 90 degrees.
- Bend the front knee, keeping it over the ankle.
- Extend your arms parallel to the floor, palms facing down.
- Gaze over the front hand, keeping your shoulders relaxed.
5 workouts to amplify fat reduction and muscle development concurrently
4. Plank stance (Santolasana)
A full-body workout, the plank engages the core, arms, and legs simultaneously, stimulating muscle growth and augmenting metabolic rate for effective fat burning. To accomplish this posture:
- Lie face down, elbows under shoulders, forearms flat.
- Elevate onto toes, engaging abdominal muscles to create a straight line from head to heels.
5. Tree stance (Vrikshasana)
This posture activates the core and leg muscles, promoting stability and burning calories. To execute this posture:
- Stand tall, feet hip-width apart.
- Transfer weight to the left foot, placing the right foot on the left thigh with toes pointing down.
- Bring your hands to prayer or extend them above your head.
- Focus on a fixed point for balance. Hold, then switch sides.
6. Chair stance (Utkatasana)
Utkatasana targets the lower body, especially the thighs and glutes, contributing to muscle development and raising the heart rate for enhanced fat utilization. To perform this posture:
- Stand with your feet together, bend your knees, and lower your hips as if sitting in a chair.
- Keep your chest lifted, arms reaching overhead.
- Engage your core and sink into the posture, thighs parallel to the floor.
7. Bridge posture (Setu Bandhasana)
Bridge posture assists in toning the posterior chain, boosting metabolism, and facilitating fat reduction. To carry out this posture:
- Lie on your back, bend your knees, and place your feet hip-width apart.
- Press into your feet and lift your hips towards the ceiling.
- Interlace your fingers under your backpack and roll your shoulders beneath you.
8. Seated forward bend (Paschimottanasana)
This seated posture stretches the spine and engages the core, fostering flexibility and aiding digestion, indirectly supporting weight control. To carry out this posture:
- Sit with your legs extended straight in front.
- Hinge at the hips, folding forward to reach for toes or ankles.
9. Child’s posture (Balasana)
Child’s Pose encourages relaxation and reduces stress. Stress reduction is associated with improved hormonal balance, potentially alleviating factors that contribute to weight gain. To carry out this posture:
- Initiate on hands and knees, exhale, sit back on heels, extend your arms forward on the mat, and lower your chest towards the floor.
- Rest your forehead on the mat, lengthen your spine, and relax.
- Breathe deeply, feeling a gentle stretch in the back, hips, and thighs. Hold and release tension.
Ladies, remember that consistency is vital! So, make sure you carry out these yoga postures regularly to witness results.