When we talk about ‘cosmetic dentistry’, we are referring to the aesthetic aspects of the dental procedures; in other words, the treatments aimed at enhancing appearance. There are several dental treatments falling under this category, and we will outline them in this brief article.
- Dental implants – Every cosmetic dentist offers dental implant treatment, which presents a permanent solution to missing teeth. Whether it’s a single tooth lost during a sports activity or a complete set of denture replacements, dental implants are the optimal solution for the issue of missing teeth. The methods of anchoring prosthetic teeth to the gums vary, with the most common one being the insertion of titanium pins into the jaw. If this is not feasible due to poor bone density, a wire frame can be fitted at the gumline to support the prosthetic. Australians take great pleasure in smiling, as it is inherent in our nature, and dental implants can significantly boost confidence.
- Porcelain veneers – If your smile is slightly crooked, what better way to address it than with veneers? A skilled cosmetic dentist can enhance your smile by attaching individual porcelain veneers, giving you a radiant smile akin to those in Hollywood. Schedule an initial consultation with the dentist to explore the various available options.
- Invisalign – Representing the next generation of braces, clear-plastic aligners gently straighten the teeth. These aligners are also removable, which is highly convenient. If you wish to learn more about clear-plastic aligners, arrange an appointment at the nearest cosmetic dental clinic, where a healthcare professional can assess your condition and recommend suitable treatment. It’s noteworthy to mention that there are other methods for straightening teeth, such as steel wire braces and alternative clear-plastic aligners.
- Laser teeth whitening – The desire for a brighter smile is universal, and with today’s laser treatments, achieving a few shades lighter is easily attainable. Consulting a dentist is the superior option, as although there are at-home kits available, the outcomes are not as effective as those achieved with professional treatment. Consult with your local dentist regarding teeth whitening, and they can explain the procedure and recommend the most suitable treatment for you.
- Crown – Sometimes, a single tooth can be filed down to a peg, and a crown (prosthetic tooth) can be fitted, offering a cost-effective method of repairing a tooth, provided that the root is healthy. The false tooth is typically made of porcelain or acrylic and perfectly matches the natural teeth.
- Bridge – A bridge consists of several teeth on an acrylic plate, worn akin to dentures, and may be connected to the two adjacent teeth. This used to be the primary treatment for missing teeth before the advent of implants, and it continues to be recommended by dentists as an affordable alternative to dental implants.
As evident, there is a wide range of cosmetic dental treatments available at local clinics. Through regular oral examinations, your teeth and gums can be maintained in strong and healthy condition.